In honor of the 20th anniversary of the biggest e-commerce platform worldwide, since it was first launched in July 1995, Amazon created first Amazon Prime Day on July 15 in 2015. This one-day sale event was created only for exclusive Amazon Prime members offering the best sale deals in the world. Amazon has many sales, but Prime Day is like the Super Bowl of Amazon, and one of the favorite retail holidays for both sellers and Amazon's customers.
On Amazon Prime Day, customers get access to sitewide discounts with the most significant price drops on a wide range of products from the Echo Dot to the new MacBook Air. Many customers wait for this one-time-in-the-year opportunity to purchase items they were checking on for quite some time.
Since the first Amazon Prime Day made a huge success, Prime Day became an annual tradition that has expanded to several other countries besides the US, such as Japan, Mexico, Spain, Austria, and others.
Also, the duration of Amazon Prime Day evolved over time. When it was first celebrated, this retail holiday lasted for one day only. In 2017, Prime days lasted for 30 hours, and in 2018 this ''day'' lasted for 36 hours. In 2019, Amazon celebrated the longest Prime Day in history that lasted from July 15 through the last second of July 16, making it 48 hours long.
Amazon Prime Day 2020
Due to the happenings worldwide with the COVID-19 pandemic, the date for Amazon Prime Day in 2020 is still unknown. Online shopping commerce got profoundly affected by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, like all other industries in the world. Amazon is overwhelmed with buyer orders, and they had to stop some of its transportation services to fulfill orders. Even some of the Prime membership benefits such as one-day or even two-day shipping are no longer possible for most of the buyers. Many Prime members are now canceling their memberships, and many frustrated customers release their anger on social media because of shipping delays, unexpectedly canceled orders, and lost packages.
Like no one else, Amazon couldn't predict this situation, and everyone should be patient enough. Pandemic is nothing like a holiday rush, and like everybody else, Amazon got caught in the middle of it without a chance to prepare. CEO and Amazon founder stated: "Unlike a predictable holiday surge, this spike occurred with little warning, creating major challenges for our suppliers and delivery network."
Despite the problems caused by the pandemic, 67% of Amazon's customers in 2020 are Prime members, while last year, there were only 59%.
However, Amazon Prime Day in 2020 isn't canceled, it's postponed for September . It will most probably be in the early days of September, to make space between Prime Day and Black Friday.
Will there be an Amazon sale before the delayed Prime Day?
Yes, the Amazon device sale was organized on June 17, when customers had a chance to purchase popular Alexa devices for a great deal! Also, Amazon is planning a huge summer sale to get rid of all excess inventory and clear their storages before summer is over to prepare them for a holiday season.
There are speculations that since Amazon has problems with order fulfillment, some of its rivals have received more orders than usual and grown their business more. Amazon will probably use the Summer Sale to win back all buyers who have gone to different retailers. Amazon hasn't confirmed or denied this speculation, but because all other retailers are preparing their traditional July sales, it seems quite inevitable that Amazon will make the same move.
Should you wait for the Prime Day 2020 deals?
At this moment, Memorial Day is the only holiday that stands between customers and Amazon Prime Day in 2020. This situation draws a question whether it is worth it to wait until the Prime Day comes, or buyers should purchase certain items if they are on sale right now. There are lots of great deals available right now, and if you come across a deal that works for you, go for it!
For example, there is an excellent deal if you purchase two new Amazon Fire HD 8 tablets. Still, as the Amazon Prime Day approaches, it makes more sense to wait for it, because this day is famous by the unbelievable deals Amazon offers on that day.
Some of the best Prime Day 2020 deals?
Prime Day is all about excellent Amazon deals, so logically the best deals are on Amazon devices. Amazon launched three next-generation Fire HD 8 tablets recently, including the all-new Fire HD 8 for Kids, Fire HD 8, and Fire HD 8 Plus. Prices for these devices vary from $89.99 to $139.99, and you can save up to $70 if you order two of these great devices at the same time. With this, buyers can have a glimpse of what deals will be available on Amazon Prime Day in 2020.
- Amazon Fire HD 8 - costs $89.99, and if you order two of them, the price is $159.89. The Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet is 30% faster than its ancestor and has a new feature, wireless charging. This is the first model of this device generation and has an 8-inch (1280 x 800) screen, 2.0-GHz quad-core CPU, 2GB of RAM, and a slot for 32GB of micro SD card storage. Currently, Amazon has a limited time offer where you can save $20 if you order two devices in the same order.
- Amazon Fire HD 8 Plus - costs $109.99, and if you order two in the same package, you will pay $199.98 for both tablets. The Amazon Fire HD 8 Plus tablet has all the same features as the new Fire HD 8, but the RAM of this device is 3GB. Buy one for you and one for your friend, and save $20 on this deal.
- Amazon Fire HD 8 Kids Edition - costs $139.99, but if you purchase two tablets for your kids, you will pay $209.98. The new Amazon Fire HD 8 Kids Edition is one of the best tablets created, especially for the kids. This model is 30% faster than its predecessor and has 32GB of storage. The price of this device specially made for the kids is $139.99, but if you buy two in the same order, you will take $70 off the total price for two.
Amazon Prime Day deals in 2019
The following list contains some of the best deals Amazon offered in the previous year on this great day:
- All-new Fire 7 Tablet (16GB) - the initial cost of this device was $49, but then it dropped on just $29.
- Fire HD 10 Tablet (32GB, Without Special Offers) - first, it was listed for $164, and on Amazon Prime Day, it was only $114. That is more than 70% off the initial price!
- Fire HD 10 Tablet (32GB, With Special Offers) - Amazon offered a deal with more than 65% off the price. Instead of $149, customers paid only $99 for this device.
- Echo Dot (the third generation of this device) - Initial price was $49, it dropped to just $22.
- Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote - Instead of $39, customers had a chance to purchase this excellent device for only $14.
- Fire TV Stick 4K with Alexa Voice Remote - From $49, it dropped to only $24.
- All-New Echo Dot for Kids - The price of this device was $69, and on Amazon Prime Day, it was reduced to just $44.
- All-New Amazon Fire 7 Kids Edition Tablet - The initial price was $99, and it diminished to $59.
- Kindle Oasis E-reader - On Amazon Prime Day, the price dropped from $279 to $199.
- Amazon Prime members had an opportunity to gain a $10 of Amazon credit if they spend $10 at Whole Foods.
What are the best Prime Day 2020 laptop deals?
Amazon always offers great deals on laptops for Prime Day. This year, plenty of jaw-dropping deals for laptops will be available. We expect to see great deals on 2020 Dell XPS 10th generation chip laptops and deals on the latest 2020 MacBook Air. Recently the latest MacBook Air was on sale for only $899, and we expect a similar deal on Amazon Prime Day in 2020.
- Dell XPS 13 w/128GB SSD (9360) - The initial price was $1,500 now, we expect it to drop on $999.
- Dell XPS 13 w/256GB SSD (9380) - Instead of $1,199, customers will have a chance to pay $999 for this excellent device.
- Dell XPS 15 w/ 4K display (9570) - The first price was $2,499, and now you will be able to purchase this laptop for just $1,999.
- Dell G5 Gaming Laptop - was $1,099 now, it will be available for $779.
- Lenovo Chromebook S330 - was $289 now just $144.
- Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) - Original price was $2,579, and now this device will be $1,934.
- Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) - Instead of $1,559, customers will be able to purchase this device only for $999.
- Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop - The initial cost of this laptop was $1,299.99 now, buyers can pay only $899.99.
- Acer Swift 5 - Originally it was $1,399, and now just $1,238
- Alienware 17 R5 - The price was $1,699 now, it dropped to $1,359.
- Apple MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) - The initial price was $2,799, and now buyers will be able to purchase this great device for only $2,099.
- Apple MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018) - This MacBook priced at $1,999 is now just $1,449.
- Asus VivoBook F510QA (15.6-inch) - Originally, it was $399, now it dropped to $259.
- Asus Chromebook Flip C434 - You could get this device for $549, and now with a great deal, you can save $60, paying only $489.
- Asus ROG Strix Hero II 15-inch Gaming Laptop - First, it cost $1,799, and now it dropped to just $1,699.
- Microsoft Surface Pro 6 with Surface Pro Type Cover - It was $1,059 now you can get it at $799.
- Microsoft Surface Pro 6 - The initial cost was $1,199, and now it will be available for only $899.
- Samsung Chromebook 3 - You could purchase this device for $144, and the next sale deal is the reduced price to $119.
What are the best Prime Day 2020 Whole Foods deals?
Whole Foods have a significant part in Amazon Prime Day. Members of Amazon Prime have an opportunity to win $10 of Amazon credit that can be spent on Prime Day by purchasing Whole Foods for $10 or more. This offer was one of the most popular Amazon deals in the last couple of years.
Why is this deal so popular? Simply because with the $10 credit, you can make any great Prime Day deal even better! The credit you get, you can use to reduce prices on Amazon Prime Day even more.
Once, the Fire TV Stick was available at $19.99 after the credit was applied. On another Prime Day, the Echo Dot's price dropped at an incredible $24.99 with $10 credit applied.
Amazon also has many other great Whole Foods deals on this retail holiday, such as 25% to 50% off "summertime favorites" such as wild-caught sockeye salmon, organic cherries, and apple pie.
Amazon Prime Day 2020 - how does it work on Amazon?
All Prime Day deals are available only for Amazon Prime members, but in case you still haven't subscribed, you can sign up for Amazon's 30 days Prime trial version. This is Amazon's encouragement to show you what benefits you can gain with their Prime membership, and if it still seems too expensive, you can quit any time before the trial period ends. If you don't cancel the subscription, you will be charged $119 for the entire year as an Amazon prime member.
Amazon created a special membership plan for college students, which costs 50% less than the original subscription. For only $59, Prime students will be able to enjoy all perks this membership is offering, and all deals will be available to them. The best part about Student Prime membership is that it is entirely free for six months instead of 30 days! Students can use all benefits and offers completely free for six months. Also, Amazon has Off-to-College Store, where students can find great deals and discounts on all products from laptops to dorm room stuff.
How to shop on Amazon Prime Day?
Amazon has a Prime Day hub where you can find all deals in one place. If you use your mobile phone to surf the internet and do shopping, download Amazon mobile app, which is available for Android and iOS, to get Amazon Prime Day 2020 deals. In case you own the Fire HD tablet or any other Alexa-enabled Amazon device, you don't even have to move your finger. You can simply request Amazon's voice assistant to help you purchase Prime Day deals. These devices will help you find any available deal that fits your criteria.
If you shop from smile.amazon.com, you will support some higher goals with your purchases, because Amazon will donate a certain percentage of your shopping to the charity you choose!